In an attempt to train for an upcoming 5K, I have begun to set landmark milestones along my running route. I tell myself keep running to pond and then you can walk, or keep going to the brick entrance. This has actually been a successful tool for me and I will sometimes even continue to run past my landmark. It got me thinking that we need to have some milestones for our cruising journey–an outline of our plans and short-term goals that we want to meet. So here is a very simple start….
Year One (fall 2013-to-summer 2014)
- Read, Read, Read—get as much knowledge from different books. I’m going to add a recommended reading section to this blog with books that have been recommended to us to read and then hopefully, after I read them, provide a short overview.
- Practice with current boat (Catalina 25)-Go on a couple of overnight trips, get comfortable with the boat and take it out solo
- Research different boats and start going to look at boats
- Save money-continue on budget
- Get the girls comfortable with being on the sailboat
Year Two (Summer 2014-summer 2015)
- Continue reading and sailing–possibly taking a sailing course….
- Share our plans with family
- Teach the girls to swim
- Get serious with boat buying and purchase a boat at the end of this year (summer 2015)
- Determine if we are going to sell the house, if so list the house. If not, start looking for renters.
Year Three (Summer 2015-2016)
- Get boat ready for departure-summer of 2016
- Figure out health insurance
Once we get further into this journey, I want to establish more solid goals for ourselves in different areas, such as financial, boat purchasing and sailing competency. But for now this is our rough outline.